Simon Watters was first admitted to practice in Australia in 1990 and has specialised in criminal law for over 25 years with a particular emphasis on appellate work.
In 1992 Simon was called to the English Bar by Grays Inn where he practised for 5 years, including an appearance before the Court of Appeal of England and Wales. In 1995 Simon received a British Chevening Scholarship and was awarded the Zelman Cowen Award for top scholar in Australia. With this, Simon was able to complete a Master of Laws at Kings College London.
Simon returned to Perth in 1997 and joined the Bar in 1999. He has
appeared as counsel in all criminal courts, from the Magistrates’ Court through
to the Court of Appeal and the High Court and has also appeared as counsel in
the Coroner’s Court, various State and National Corruption and Crime
commissions and other government inquiries.
In addition to
criminal law, Simon’s areas of practice include coronial inquests and
appearances in the State Administrative Tribunal as well as care and protection
proceedings in the Children’s Court.
Areas of Expertise
- Written advice on prospects of defending any criminal charge
- Appearing as counsel in Criminal trials in Magistrates, District and Supreme Court
- Criminal Appeals before Court of Appeal and High Court
- Representation in the Children's Court
BA, LLB, LLM (European Law)
- Western Australian Bar Association
- Law Society
- Criminal Lawyers Association
Year Elected to WABA